Sunday, April 1, 2012

Oven Baked Chicken Nuggets

Here's another recipe from my Everyday Food magazine - and another super easy one that my family gobbled up! I doubled the dry ingredients from the original recipe & added my favorite garlic powder (bc that just makes everything better, no?), and it worked just great for us.
For this recipe, you'll need (quantities have been doubled, so if using less chicken, cut dry ingredients in half):
  • about a pound of boneless, skinless chicken (I used almost 2 lbs of boneless, skinless, tenders, which is why I upped the dry ingredients, to coat all the chicken)
  • 2 cups Panko (japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 2/3 cup grated parmesan
  • 1/2 tbs garlic powder
  • coarse salt
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread panko on rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown (6-8 min). Immediately put in a separate dish and add parmesan, garlic powder, and salt. Add oil and mix to combine. Increase oven temp to 450 degrees.

Organize your food prep station: cut chicken into 2 inch pieces, place flour, eggs, and panko in separate dishes. This is easiest for me when I have everything in order and it ends up at the baking sheet, ready to pop in the oven!

Set up a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet, coat with cooking spray (I used olive oil again), at the end of your assembly line. Then coat chicken with flour, dip in egg, coat with panko, place on rack.

Here's what my nuggets looked like before I put them in the oven.

Bake chicken at 450 degrees until cooked through, about 12 minutes (two 6 minute increments), but flipping halfway through. This step is somewhat annoying, but I used tongs & it was relatively easy, then I popped it back in the oven for the remaining 6 minutes.

And here's a quick picture before we ate! Good food enjoyed by all!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

i need to make everything on this blog! you do a fantastic job of taking pictures and writing out the steps! you need to make this into a cookbook! (and if so, i want one!)

Erica said...

i will definitely do these!!!