Monday, October 15, 2012

Nutter Butter Truffles/Oreo Balls

These little gems are a little bite of heaven.  So easy, but so yummy!!  Like cake balls, but easier to make and did I mention easy??  So. easy!  All you need is a food processor and:
  • Oreos (pick your flavor, more on that later) or Nutter Butters - regular size package
  • 8 oz block of cream cheese (room temperature)
  • white or chocolate Almond bark
That's all you need!  And not baking required.  This is a monthly must-have for our bunco nights & I've been having some fun with it lately, trying out new variations.  Regular Oreos (not double stuf) are the easiest, but I've also tried Mint Oreos & I think you could use about 3/4 of the cream cheese block for those bc there is more creme in the cookie.  I recently made the Nutter Butter truffles & they turned out to be everyone's favorite of the three! (My bunco girls are my sample set :)  I made it as you'll see, but I also think for this variation you could use 1/2 a block of cream cheese & about 1/4-1/2 cup of peanut butter & you'd end up with a creamier truffle with more in-your-face peanut butter flavor.  But, as I said, the girls liked the Nutter Butter truffles the best of the 3, so maybe they're perfect just the way they are?  You decide & let me know :)

Here are a few pics of the process below - I'm sad to say I didn't get the finished product - this season of life is too crazy & these were eaten too quickly!  So use your imagination & think yum, yum, yummy!!

Just dump entire package of cookies (oreos or nutter butters) directly into food processor...

pulverize to crumbs are all the same size, then add block of cream cheese...

After thoroughly mixed it will look like this - that's perfect!

Then scoop and shape the balls.  These are all pretty uniform, but if I use a melon baller they are huge, if I make them smaller, there's a million, so just decided what you'd like.  This batch made two of these pictures above, so quite a few & there wasn't enough coating for all of it, so just size them the way you prefer.

After rolling all the balls, put in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to chill before coating.  You can leave them in longer, but 30 minutes usually works well.  I think for this batch I made the balls one day & dipped them the next, that worked great for the time I had.

Then get out your almond bark - I use CandiQuik because it has it's own tray so the cleanup is super easy.  But I've also tried almond bark brand and I hope to try melting chocolate chips with baking wax sometime soon, but there just wasn't enough time on this day!  I chose regular chocolate for the nutter butter balls, but usually I use white chocolate for the oreo balls.  You could also use contrasting chocolates to make designs on the top of the balls, but I never have time for that & they still taste good! :)

Follow the directions for melting on the package & then you're ready for dipping!  Dip the truffles, letting the excess run off, place on wax paper & back in the fridge to set.  It sets fairly quickly and you're good to go!  So tasty, easy, and great to take to parties.  Such an easy go-to dessert.  Enjoy!!

No comments: