Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dinosaur Egg Cakeballs

For my son's birthday this week, I decided I would try my hand at cakeballs.  I had heard and read about everyone making cakeballs and how easy & yummy they were, so I thought, "How hard could it be?"  It was pretty easy through the first steps...
Make cake of your choice according to package directions.  Bake.


After cake cools, cut into small squares

Break cake up in a bowl

Crumble cake squares with a fork.  This is the amount of crumbs from the entire cake.

Add an entire jar of your choice of frosting.  I used a Devil's Food cake mix and Cream Cheese frosting.

It doesn't look pretty, but it smells good!  I let this chill for a few minutes before I started to shape the cakeballs.


It makes a ton!  This is about half the batter.  After you get them in balls, freeze them for about 30 minutes.  I found the longer the better.

I used Candy Melts for the coating.  This is where I ran into trouble!  I haven't quite figured out my microwave yet and I just couldn't get the candy melts to melt into the right consistency.  Next time I plan to try the double broiler and hopefully that will yield better results.  All tips are welcome!

I had hoped to use my egg separator as a way of dipping in the coating, but my coating was just too lumpy for this to happen, but I think it's a great idea.


I wasn't super pleased with the way my cakeballs turned out (I wanted them smooth, to better resemble dinosaur eggs), but they tasted good and everyone loved them so that's what matters!!

And there were PLENTY for the party!

However, hubby & I agree, we liked the cakeballs, but my friend Rebekah shared this recipe for Oreo Balls on her blog and they. are. awesome!!  If you like cakeballs, you must check it out!!  We love them more than cakeballs!  And if you like sweets, we have plenty of sugary goodies to share this week!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those look SUPER! I'll send you a link to a blog I found the other day where the gal, who normally did the cake balls this way, tried using cake donut holes instead, stuck them on lolipop sticks and then coated them in icing. I am sure they are not as good on the inside, but I am only brave enough to try the "easy version"!