Sunday, July 24, 2011

Family Favorite Chicken Spaghetti

This is one of our family's favorite dishes!  Everyone eats it and everyone loves it so that's win-win in my book.  It's pretty easy to make and it makes A LOT, so I know we will be eating a lot of this in the future :)  I start out by baking the chicken (the original recipe calls for using a whole chicken, but I use this method for all my recipes that call for cooked chicken, it's just what I've found works best for me)
I just use:
  • boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into tenders
  • olive oil
  • sea salt
  • garlic powder
  • pepper
  • chili powder


After I spray the pan with olive oil, I drizzle olive oil over each piece of chicken, then sprinkle sea salt, garlic powder, pepper, and chili powder, on each piece.  Usually, I use sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder, every time I bake this chicken.  For dishes like this one & enchiladas, for example, I add the chili powder, too.  I just love all the extra flavor that all the spices add to each dish.

Bake chicken at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until juices run clear and it's cooked completely through.  After chicken has cooled enough, chop chicken into small pieces.

In case you're tired of my pretty ingredient pictures, here's one of those "reality" ingredient shots haha

For chicken spaghetti, you'll need:
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I usually just use as much as I have)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 jar chopped pimentos
  •  spaghetti noodles (two small bags of thin spaghetti noodles), cooked according to package directions


Saute onion and green pepper in olive oil

When green peppers and onions are almost cooked clear, add chopped chicken

add chicken broth,

add cream of mushroom soup & milk - I usually mix the milk and soup in the measuring cup before adding, to get all the lumps out of the soup

Continue mixing and heat until bubbly



After bubbly, add pimentos, chili powder, and pepper.  At this point I usually simmer the sauce until the noodles are ready.  I think the longer it simmers, the yummier it is, but it's good either way.  The funny thing is on this day, I could not get the pimentos open for. the. life. of. me.  And hubby had to work late so this batch went sans pimentos.  I tried everything, and that jar just wouldn't open!  

Once the noodles are ready, mix with sauce and add a cup of cheese (more or less if you like :).  Pour in a greased (I use olive oil spray, again) 9x13 glass pan.  Add the remainder of the cheese to the top, cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.  Until cheese is melted and sides are bubbly.

It is delish!!  Hope you love it!  I usually top mine with chopped green olives, but hubby likes his sans green olives, so whatever you like, you can't go wrong!  I wish I had a picture of the chicken spaghetti when I served it, but it was Friday night, hubby was working late & this mama was worn out so this is the best picture I could get - ha!  Happy Eating!

No comments: