Saturday, August 27, 2011

Super Easy Gooey Caramel Chocolate Cake

I guess I've been craving caramel these days?!  This is one of our favorite easy recipes from Paula Deen's cookbook (or "Mrs. Paula" as my son refers to her :)  It's so easy and yummy, always a hit when we take it somewhere.  This week I made this for a church function and it was enjoyed by all!  The original recipe calls for a devil's food cake mix, but this time I used a triple chocolate cake mix - oh. my. word!! Caramel, chocolate, fudgey goodness!!  Yum!!
You'll need:
  • chocolate cake mix (+ eggs, vegetable oil, water, per package directions)
  • jar of caramel topping
  • one can sweetened condensed milk
  • Cool Whip (optional, for topping)


Here's a closeup of the mix I used - for chocolate lovers, this is a MUST!!

The only difference with this cake mix, was that it baked up a little funky because it had the fudgey swirl and extra chocolate chunks.  This cake isn't really pretty, but it's a crowd pleaser so I figure that's what's important.

Immediately after baking, pierce the top of the warm cake all over with a toothpick (I used a fork).  Pour the sweetened milk and caramel over the top.  The original recipe calls for 6 oz of caramel, but the jar is 12 oz.  So I may have used the whole jar.  I figured it would only make it better, right?  Yes.


After pouring it over, use a spatula (or back of a spoon) to spread the caramel mixture around the top of the cake.  Let cool a little more and then put it in the refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.

Like I said, this isn't a "pretty cake", but it's yummy flavor makes up for it.  Here it is right out of the refrigerator.  I sliced it up and grabbed my cool whip for serving.

It was hard to get a good picture, but see the ooey gooey goodness!!  In the original recipe, she tops it with cool whip and crunched up Skor bars, but our family likes it simple with cool whip or just straight cake!

Chocolate lovers, you are welcome!!   Yum!!

No comments: