Thursday, May 24, 2012

Amazing Smashed Potatoes

That's right - you read that correctly - smashed potatoes!  I first saw something like this on Pinterest, then I got this recipe from my Everyday Food magazine, tried it, loved it, made it twice in a week!  You may say I'm obsessed with these potatoes.  You may be right.  

It's just that I find them to be the perfect blend of creamy potato goodness with a crunchy outer layer like the perfect french fry - but this one is made with sea salt and olive oil - ingredients you can feel good about!

So trust me, if you like potatoes at all - MAKE THIS RECIPE!!  You'll be glad you did!!
For this recipe you'll need:
  • about 1 1/2 lbs of small potatoes
  • coarse sea salt
  • olive oil


Rinse potatoes well and cut out any bad spots, put in pot of water.  Bring water to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Drain and let stand for 5 minutes

Now, the original recipe called for me to use "the heel of my hand" to press down and smash the potatoes.  Since I don't have a desire to give myself a third degree burn, I used the back of a large spoon.

And I'm happy to report, it worked just fine!  And now serious burns - yay!

I also like that you really can't mess this part up.  Smash them however you want to - mine are a little more on the smashed side, the ones in the original recipe were a little more intact - just see what you come up with and see what you like.

Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle on sea salt to taste.

Put them in a 450 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, turning once halfway through (I recommend using tongs, not your bare hands)

This picture cannot show you how AMAZING these potatoes are!!  So perfectly creamy, crunchy, salty, yummy - SOOOOO good!


Perfect side dish for baked chicken - that recipe coming soon!  Try the potatoes!  You won't regret it!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

those potatoes look so good!